Wetton Road, Butterton. ST13 7ST
By an indenture dated 9th March 1754, William Mellor left lands to be held in trust for maintaining a schoolmaster and a school in Butterton.
By an order of the Charity Commissioners of 9th Jan 1872, the real estate belonging to the Foundation was vested in the Official Trustee of Charity Land and the Vicar plus 6 other persons were appointed Trustees.
The ‘Old School’ closed after a damning HMI report in 1940 and a new School was built. This in turn closed in 1980 due to low pupil numbers and the ‘Manifold Valley School’ became the Village Hall.
The Hall comprises of a large room which can be subdivided into 2 areas. There is an entrance hall with a purpose built bar area and disabled toilet off, a well-stocked kitchen, toilets and a storeroom. There is an adjoining building with its own kitchen and toilets which is now Butterton History Centre. The hall is very lucky to have a playing field and a newly refurbished play area.
The hall has a very active committee of 6 members. They hold a very successful monthly Bingo. In fact, in 2011/2012 Bingo plus other fundraisers meant major repairs to the Village Hall roof could be attended to.
Hall ‘customers’ include First Responders and the W.I. It is hired out for Children’s parties, Christening, Weddings and Funerals, Parish Council meetings. It doubles up as the Polling station and other events include the Annual Butterton Wakes, Christmas Fayre, Car Boot sales, Harvest Supper, and Lent Lunch and dog training classes.
We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have such a well cared for, substantially built Hall with beautiful views over the surrounding Moorlands. The Village Hall, by reputation, is becoming a popular venue particularly during the summer months.
Following the redecoration of the Village Hall, the committee feel it necessary to make a few new changes.
The Village Hall Committee have recently spent £4,500 on the internal redecoration. Phase 1 was the redecoration of the kitchen and pantry. Phase 2 was the redecoration of the main room, bar area, corridor and entrance porch. Further fundraising was necessary to raise a further £3,000 for Phase 3- the external redecoration. This is now complete with the redecoration of the outside of the hall, the tired looking wooden screen has been replaced and new gate posts fixed.
PLEASE DO NOT use pins, blu-tak or sellotape on the walls. You are welcome to use the sliding partition for notices that need displaying etc. blackboards and chalks, noticeboards or whiteboards and dry wipe pens are available for you to use for other purposes.
To ensure the future of the Village Hall financially, our aim is to attract its use as a venue for parties and celebrations etc. Sadly, we cannot rely solely on ‘local’ hirings to ensure the Hall’s livelihood. With this in mind we have decided to increase our hiring charges. For local organisations and residents it will now be £10 an hour. Out of Butterton charges will now be £12 an hour, plus extra charges for marquees etc. These charges will commence 1st September, 2018.
Various items have been on display on the walls in the past. These items will now be positioned elsewhere in the Hall e.g. in the bar area or in the corridor.
To view conditions for hiring and booking the Hall, please follow the link to the Hire Agreement on this page.
Just one or two more requests to ensure the smooth running of your hire
Hilary Bassett 01538 304219
Marjorie Renshaw. Lane House Farm, Wetton Road 01538 304226
Maggie Risby. Kent House 01538 304115
Dianne Wint, Gwen Bagshaw.
A copy of the village hall hire agreement can be downloaded here.